Also known as custom or tailor-made, bespoke software is a product developed especially to meet the exact demands and requirements of your company.
Off-the-shelf software is a product developed for the mass-market, which means it is expected to respond to the needs of as many users as possible, offering many more features than a bespoke solution. Unfortunately, this type of software often does not meet all of your expectations.
The main advantages of developing bespoke software are as follows:
1. Simplicity Bespoke software is designed specifically around your business, so you don’t have to worry about unwanted features or unfamiliar terminology. This reduces learning time and makes the software more efficient to use.
A bespoke software product gives you flexibility re changing your specifications over time. When buying an off-the-shelf software product, you need to adjust your requirements to what you receive. If the solution no longer meets your needs, you must buy new software.
3. Scalability Bespoke software is designed to evolve as your business evolves. Changes can be implemented as your business grows or to meet new legislation or client requirements. You are the owner of the intellectual property, which means you do not need to seek permission to make changes to your software. You can have it upgraded and extended to have features your business needs while evolving.
4. Integration Bespoke software can be developed to integrate with other key systems that your business uses, meaning improved communication, reduced manual entry and no human error.
5. Competitive Advantage Software that is bespoke to your business differentiates you from your competitors, building or maintaining a competitive edge. An effective software package can make your company work more efficiently, improving your performance and having a positive impact on customer satisfaction levels.
6. Maintenance Maintenance is, without doubt, the greatest advantage of bespoke software solutions. In the case of off-the-shelf packages, your company is one out of thousands who use the software and there is only one development team who can fix a bug. When it comes to bespoke solutions, a bespoke software development company guarantees to maintain the software, and fix any bug you report, in a timely manner.